POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : spotlight radius and falloff : Re: spotlight radius and falloff Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:19:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: spotlight radius and falloff
From: Jerome Waters
Date: 6 Jan 2000 11:37:21
Message: <38745493.F7260118@mscsoftware.com>
TonyB wrote:

> I don't see the same thing. Perhaps if you rendered larger you would see a
> difference.

I bumped it up to:

light_source {
  <-2, 1, 0>
  rgb 1
  spotlight
  point_at <-2, 1, 6>
  radius 80
  tightness 50
  falloff 85
}
light_source {
  <2, 1, 0>
  rgb 1
  spotlight
  point_at <2, 1, 6>
  radius 20
  tightness 50
  falloff 25
}

A angle difference of 60 degrees!! I rendered it at 640x480 and the
spots on the wall look the same size to me.  What do you see??  I mean
you can simply sketch it out on graph paper and see that a line at 80-85
degrees should hit a lot farther out than a line 20-25 degrees.

As a matter of fact, if I'm not mistaken the radius of a spot at a
distance of 6 units and angle of 20 degrees should be 13.422... units in
radius.  A spot from an angle of 80 degrees at the same distance should
be 54.021... units in radius.

- Jerome

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: